Monday, August 1, 2011

Half way done (?)

For some reason the title of this post doesn't sound grammatically correct but I'm just going to leave it. There aren’t any pics today just because it’s more of a “this is what’s going through my head right now.” So just enjoy the ride and I apologize for the turbulence.

Anywho...This is the 7th week of my internship so that means I am a little more than half way done. I have learned a lot so far about urban spatial planning and about how I see my future. Seeing that regions in Europe and the United States are trying to become more sustainable makes me hopeful for the future. I now know that there are opportunities in the States to do what I am interested in. This job has also shown me that there is more to learn which leans me toward going to grad school next fall. But then I wonder if I can learn on the job. Who knows? I’m not going to worry about that stuff too much right now.

With only a few weeks left in Hamburg, it’s very easy for me to get excited about coming back home. I miss my family and friends. I miss Ann Arbor. I miss being able to hold random conversations with people. Well…maybe not that last one so much. There are a few things I want to do here before I leave so I’m trying to focus on them and not counting down the days until I go home.

The work I’ve been doing has allowed me to see various examples of regional development plans that I hope Detroit can have someday. It is becoming more efficient and sustainable to plan for a region instead of just a city and I think this could benefit Detroit immensely. Seeing how these plans are made, it makes me curious about what is going wrong with Detroit. I’m guessing it’s the political system that is holding it back as well as its bumpy economic history. I think there is a way around all of that and hope to be a part of it some day.

Until next time:

Keep it Green!
Brianne

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Brianne! Perfect timing. I was actually just about to email you with the goals/expectations you had set for yourself and was going to ask you to reflect on them. Without me even asking, you did just that :-) I'm so happy that your internship seems to have re-affirmed your career choice! ~Kelly

    ReplyDelete