Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Scheiße and Giggles

The past couple of days have had their ups and downs, hence the title of this post. My last few days in Berlin were uneventful. Simone helped with my luggage to the train station and saw me off. I was nervous on the train because I thought I might be in the wrong place and have to move, which would have been difficult with all of my stuff. But everything was fine and I enjoyed my first long-distance train ride! I arrived in Hamburg safe and sound. Yesterday was a holiday so I did some sight seeing. To start my day off right, I had a nutritious breakfast:




After that delectable meal, I did a self-led tour through a historic church St. Michaelis. I went all the way to the top of the spire and saw an amazing view of the city. After that, I met up with some girls who are also working at HafenCity University this summer. One of them, Katie, has been here in Hamburg for a little bit so she was our tour guide. We walked around a lot of the city and saw some really cool things. HafenCity in itself is RIDICULOUS!!! The architecture for each building is really different yet it all works together. Here is one of the buildings:


Even though it is amazing aesthetically, some of the locals aren’t too happy about HafenCity being built. I don’t know too much about it but I plan on doing some research as to why this is. HafenCity University isn’t actually built yet so I will be working at their temporary site but I did get to see where it will be built. I hope to be able to come back someday and see it all finished.

At the end of yesterday I was pooped so I planned on today to be a relaxing day. That kind of happened…I started my day at about 6 in the morning by being woken up my a wild boar that was let loose in my room. O wait, that’s not a wild boar you say but a man snoring?!?!?!? You had me fooled. I was going to get up early anyways because I had to go to work to sign my contract but I wasn’t going to get up THAT early. I also realized how loud I can be when trying to get ready quietly. After all of that excitement, I set out on my journey to find where I will be working for the next 10 weeks. So I got on the train and of course, I was heading in the wrong direction. So I got off and found out that there is construction being done on the line I need to take so I had to get off again and find the bus that is used to compensate for this. But I finally made it! I found the office perfectly fine and signed my contract. I was supposed to meet with one of my co-workers but she got tied up at home and couldn’t make it in. After all of this I waved my little white flag, came back to the hostel, watched a movie and took a nap. I’m going to try to get to bed early tonight because who knows when I’ll be woken up by the wild boar again.

Tomorrow I leave for Stuttgart to go and visit my friend Maya!!! I am über excited and can barely contain myself!!! 

Until next time:

Keep it green!
Brianne

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Brianne!

    Yay, you're finally in your new home :-) I can relate to the luggage stress. It seems that each time I went to Germany, the train commute was was the aspect of the commute I dreaded the most. This is probably because, as usual, I had far more luggage than I was able to handle. Glad you made it okay.

    I hope you enjoy your trip to Stuttgart. I lived about an hour outside of the city when I was teaching English in Germany. I always felt very 'at home' and comfortable in Stuttgart and have therefore always said that I could see myself living there :) Have fun!

    -Kelly

    ReplyDelete